Austin Reed, UK – Fashion Retailer
Austin Reed was a presence on the British high-street for over a hundred years, its first retail location opening in London in 1900. Originally Austin Reed stores sold only menswear, and their fashionable styles competed with other popular menswear stores of the time such as Burton Menswear and Moss Bros (each of which still exists). In the 1980's the range of clothing expanded to include a line of womenswear, which itself was very popular.
What Happened to Austin Reed?
Sadly, after more than a century of doing business in the UK, in 2016 Austin Reed entered administration, disappearing from the British high-street. However, subsequent to a buyout by Edinburgh Woollen Mill (a Carlisle based company specialising in clothing retail, with other interests in homeware), five concession locations, in Boundary Mills outlet villages, were to remain open.
Nonetheless, numerous high-street fashion stores and online destinations for stylish menswear fashion still exist, and we list a few alternatives below:
- Jacamo Menswear - An online catalogue retailer, operated by the JD Williams mail order company.
- Burton Menswear - A popular name in shopping centers and high-streets around the UK for decades
- Moss Bros. - Another popular name which has a sterling selection of fashionable menswear
- Debenhams - Debenhams is another long-established name, retailing not only menswear and womenswear, but also a huge selection of homewares and other goods.
- Marks & Spencer - M&S is yet another century+ brand, which has stood the test of time; again, a wide range of menswear, womenswear and homewares, among other merchandise.